To say 2020 has been challenging is an understatement. The pandemic has brought stressors and unanticipated needs to families and businesses around the globe. At Herder and Associates, staff, friends and family are making a difference and is supporting random acts of kindness in 2020 and they aren’t the only one. We encourage you to do the same.
Court Reporters: Random Acts of Kindness
The Journal of Court Reporting shared the story of a Facebook group dedicated to promoting random acts of kindness within the court reporting community, including monetary donations to those in need.
What started with a handful of friends wanting to raise $500 has grown to more than 1,200 members who have raised more than $21,500. The group has been able to help other reporters with upgraded equipment, payment for a student’s Case CATalyst software, paying for NCRA membership, reimbursing the cost of books, and purchasing a replacement chair for a reporter with back issues. In addition, the group has received donations of equipment that has helped reporters and students in need.
Rotary is doing its part worldwide in the community.
Like Rotarians everywhere, Chandler Horizon Rotary tirelessly looks for ways to practice Service Above Self in everything they do to help the community. As an award-winning chapter of Rotary International, CHR has raised over $700,000 for charity. The proceeds of their all-volunteer events are earmarked for charities in Chandler and surrounding communities. Since becoming President of the Chandler Horizon Rotary just four months ago on July 1, 2020, Marty Herder and Chandler Horizon Rotary have stepped up their “boots on the ground” work, providing random acts of kindness across the city and beyond:
- Donated eight laptops to the Chandler Unified School District for students in need during COVID-19 so they can study safely from home.
- Participated in Chandler’s 2020 Back to School initiative, the largest back to school collaborative drive for Chandler Students in need.
- Feeding the homeless through the Interfaith Homeless Emergency Lodging Program (i-HELP).
- Donated over 700 vaccines to Rotary International’s End Polio Program
- Participated in the Red Cross Blood Drive
- Donated 661 packages of much-needed diapers and 955 wipes to the Fans Across America This organization provides daily living necessities to homeless students and their families, families in transition, and children and victims of domestic violence.
- Provided hundreds of blankets to the homeless adults with the Aris Foundation.
What can you do to practice random acts of kindness in 2020?
With the pandemic leaving so many in need, it is the perfect time to give of yourself, if you can safely do so. Here are ways to give that don’t take much time or money:
- Giving blood.
- Performing small acts like holding doors, saying please and thank you, and giving positive online reviews of small businesses.
- Connecting job seekers with key people at your company or in your network.
- Mentoring a new court reporter or someone interested in your area of expertise.
- Sharing positive Good News stories on social media.
- Offering solutions like participating in a canned food drive or volunteering at a food bank or soup kitchen.
- Volunteering to help older adults with grocery shopping or other tasks.
Margaret Mead said, “Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it’s the only thing that ever has.”
At Herder and Associates, we live each day committed to Rotary’s “Service Above Self” motto, striving to make a difference in the world one small act at a time. We encourage you to do the same. Check out your local Rotary Club. Your life will never be the same. Cheers!
Leave a ReplyWant to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!